Monday, December 12, 2011

Question about Canadian Student visa and American student loans?

Hello, I am a U.S citizen, looking to go to grad school in Canada. Mainly because I want to get out of state for once, and two Canadian schools are really standing out for me, UBC and U Toronto.





I can use American federal aid at these schools, they accept it. However, my issue lies in getting a student Visa. it is given at the border, and requires a bunch of documents, acceptance letter, ID, etc etc.





One of the things it requires is proof of being able to support yourself (understandable). This means Tuition+$10,000 a year for living. :0





I know right now I will not have that in cash, in my checking account. I work retail, and live with my parents





That was what I thought my loans were for. I am terrified if I get turned away at the border after taking all that time and energy to apply to a school turn down other offers etc, only to pack up to leave, get to Buffalo (or wherever I cross) and get turned away.





Is there any way that my loans can count as income? How do I prove this. My student loans do not get deposited into your checking account in a big 30,000 lump sum. They go to the school directly.





I can't imagine all those Americans who go north for school have mommy and daddy's $50,000 in the bank as their income. Maybe they do, I don't know. I know I don't.|||Be aware that international students pay higher fees. They are not subsidised by the Canadian Government. The exchange rate is not in your favour.



You apply for your student visa when you have your acceptance letter from a university. You will have to demonstrate your funds for the first year. The university may be able to help you sort that out:|||The school gets the student visa for you once you have proved you can afford the cost and are qualified. You will not even head for the border until you have the paperwork straight. After that it is a dome deal.





Please note that you will not be able to work in Canada except at a job directly related to your major and only for 20 hours a week. However, loans do qualify as your income once they have been approved.





But really, you will not be the least bit better off going to a school in Canada than to a US school and with a lot less hassle. Besides, in the US it will be easier for you to get a GA position to pay for your grad degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment